Sunday, September 5, 2010

The World is my Church



(the view from the 32nd floor of Lancaster Hotel, Mandaluyong.)

The woman said to him, "Sir, I see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem." Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." - John 4:19-24

I was given the opportunity (or a burden, lol) to attend a Trainers' Training on the Upscaling of Business Permit and Licensing Sytems reforms at Manila for three (3) days. This is an advocacy to shorten the steps in securing a business permit. The event was attended by representatives of Regions 3, 4a, 4b and NCR. One highlight of this event is that I met 2 new friends, Kuya Ninoy of Batangas and Ate Apple of Occidental Mindoro. We formed a church.

How is that possible that we have formed a church in a matter of 3 days? I believe that church is not limited to Sunday services nor it is just a physical structure. It is the gathering of believers with different perceptions, different upbringing, but with similar desire to worship God and talk about Him.

Ate Apple is a Catholic. Kuya Ninoy is a Philosopher and a Catholic too. At first, I was bothered by the philosophical questions of Kuya Ninoy and his longing for facts. But in the long run, I have to agree with him without putting my own beliefs in jeopardy. We had series of discussions (not debates) about fact and faith for 7 hours (8pm - 3am). After that, I was comforted by God and He made me realize that I have to open my mind and need to undergo tests of faith to make me grow. James 1:2-3 says "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. "

Church. This is church. This is what I long for. This is what I asked of Him. I want God to give me opportunities to step out of my church building and appreciate His words in the streets, in places out of Angeles City, with various personalities. I want more of this church.

--------------------

I went to Batangas and Mindoro without leaving Manila. I will miss you, Kuya Ninoy and Ate Apple. Til next time, if there is a next time.

--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment