Sunday, August 29, 2010

Into the Wild


"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." - from the movie Into the Wild.

I was really inspired with the film I randomly selected at one record store. The title is Into the Wild. Its a true story of Christopher McCandless, a fresh college graduate who chose life in the road and just set foot to the unknown and to meet people along his path. He felt real joy by stepping out of his comfort zone, to see the other side of the world and to be exposed in realities which he cannot learn in the confines of his own home.

After series of hitchhiking and countless adventures, he confined himself in the Alaskan wilderness inside an abandoned "hunters" bus. He learned to love nature and be content in a life with no money, no luxuries, no comfort foods. Its just him and nature.

While watching the film, I imagined myself setting off to a life's adventure-- to the "road less traveled" and to learn things that are different from what I already know. I want to see myself as one Christopher McCandless. I want to meet new people and to put myself in their shoes. I want to know God more by making the world as my sanctuary. Another "do hard thing" for me.

I also imagined Jesus Christ during his days on earth. I believe he is a backpacker/hitchhiker too (He hitchhiked a donkey, most probably). He walked to different towns and different places. Some welcomed him, some despised him. But he came not to learn, but he came to teach. He came not to see life, but to give life. He came not to see the realities because he himself is truth. He traveled while giving hope. Jesus is cool.

Whats my point?To be honest, I dont know. All I know is that I need to step out of my comfort zone and make a change--change my life, like McCandless and change the world like Jesus.

Lets start a new adventure. Lets explore new heights. Lets meet new people and learn. Step out, do a hard thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment